Foothills Arts Council, Inc.’s Creative Writing Contest 2020
Foothills Arts Council believes art should be accessible to everyone, which is why we continually develop programs to inspire our community. This year, we're presenting our 2nd Annual Creative Writing Contest to celebrate artistic expression in our local and neighboring communities. Our theme this year is “Transitions.”
A story, poem or essay may reflect or represent a transition you’ve experienced, either past or present. It could be seasonal transition, a big (or small) life event, changes taking place as a result of current events...or something else entirely! How has transition shaped your outlook, point of view, choices?
The Creative Writing Contest is a writing competition where writers age 13 and over are asked to find and focus on something that involves or represents transition from one state of being to another. Then, create a remarkable literary piece that details, describes or is inspired by this change.
First, second and third place winners in each category (fiction, nonfiction and poetry) will receive a certificate of recognition from Foothills Arts Council. All winning entries will be included in our 2021 publication Transitions – An Anthology of Creative Writing, and each winner will receive two free copies. First place winners will be interviewed for a special feature in the publication.
Winners and guests will be invited to attend a special online award ceremony and launch party for Transitions– An Anthology of Creative Writing, sponsored by the Amsterdam Free Library.We'll celebrate with readings of the edition by all winners. Date: Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM.
How to Enter
Entries will be accepted from 12:01 am, Saturday, August 1, 2020 until 11:59 pm Friday, October 30, 2020. Send us your entry by email or postal mail. Please include one cover sheet for each submission which includes: Title, Author, Address, Phone Number, Email Address. This will be for office use only and will not be given to the judges.
Email email@example.com with subject line FOOTHILLS ARTS WRITING CONTEST. Include your entry by attachment in Word doc form.
Mail your entries to Foothills Arts Council Inc, PO Box 190,Amsterdam NY 12010.
To facilitate anonymous judging, Please do NOT include your name/identifying details on or within the text of your actual submission. Use a separate cover sheet.
Foothills Arts Council's
Transitions Creative Writing Contest
Rules and Regulations
1. The contest is open to NY state residents only.
2. Writers age 13 and over are invited to enter. Under age18 entries must be submitted with sponsorship by an adult age 18+.
3. Entries must be original. Work published previously in any copyrighted newspaper, magazine, book, website or other medium is ineligible.
4. Contestants may enter one work of fiction (not to exceed3,000 words), one work of non-fiction (not to exceed 3,000 words), or up to three poems (not to exceed 3,000 words in total). A contestant may enter only ONE category.
5. No submissions will be returned.
6. Submissions will be judged by panels consisting of Foothills Arts Council members and directors and/or by guest judges. Judging and winner notifications will be completed by November15, 2020.
Winners will be notified and announced at foothillsartsny.com, as well as on our Facebook page(Facebook.com/Foothills Arts).
7. All winners agree to publication in Foothills Arts Council's publication Transitions – An Anthology of Creative Writing, print and online editions, and on the Foothills Arts Council Inc. website.
8. The decisions of the judges are final. Submission indicates acceptance of all contest rules.
Please email any questions about Foothills Arts Council's CreativeWriting Contest to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you may contact us on Facebook at Facebook.com/FoothillsArts.